@toolboxtan


Wednesday 5 December 2012

Magic Lantern Project

The photographs below show the stages of me making a birthday gift for my friend Brigid. I am using a single glass slide that would have been used in a magic lantern from 1848 to 1910ish. This slide was picked up in a junk shop in Hastings, when we went on a seaside jolly with Ana and Preena. The downside to the jolly was we all, except Lucy suffered with a bug and were sick in the night. Happy memories from the weekend though.

http://www.magiclantern.org.uk/index.html

The slide is of Christ

Here I am trying to chisel out a 2mm slot
to slide the panel in. The wood I am using is from
my stash of prefect catapults that Lorcán and I have collected over the years.

The wood burner was on all day as it was freezing outside.
The workshop was very very toasty.

In this photo I am trying to attach the vintage chain.

The lighting does not do this window hanging justice. The light had started
to fade as it was late afternoon. The slide in the first photo is how it looks
when looking through it in normal daylight. I have used some old twine to try and bind
the glass panel and keep it snug in the 2mm slot I made.