@toolboxtan


Thursday 22 November 2012

If Jules Verne played the banjo!!

After making the 'Rooster' there were elements I liked about it and aspects I would change if I had the opportunity to make it again.

At school in the Spring term I will be devising a Steampunk-themed project with my Year 8s. I will also be making another batch of biscuit tin banjos with a different group of Year 8 students. Based on this I am making a Steampunk inspired banjo! This banjo will use very little wood and have quirky aspects to relate it to the Steampunk theme. So if Jules Verne played the banjo while on the Nautilus, here is what it could look like:

8" Rototom drum head won on Ebay for £4.20
I've bent some 4mm threaded bar and screwed it tight into the
30mm flat Aluminium in holes carefully aligned.

I have bent the aluminium strip to 87 degress to allow me
the all important 3 degrees. 


Frets cut and awaiting fret wire. The finger dots will use 4mm
live edge red acrylic which you will see through the metal strip.
I am making a beautiful neck in 12mm Maple

I have used the laser cutter to engrave my name on the Maple
peghead. I will use some 2mm Wenge and cut the letters on the
laser and insert them within my name.