@toolboxtan


Saturday 6 October 2012

Toolboxtan meets Flatfootjohnny


Today I travelled to South London to meet up with Flatfootjohnny where: 

Down in his cellar among the dust and the spiders he makes old timey banjos, canjos, cigarbox guitars and other things that go twang. Every instrument is fully hand made in the traditional way with a minimal use of power tools and usually using reclaimed timber.....to use his words.




It was great, very inspirational, as at the moment at school and at home in my workshop I am making biscuit tin banjos with a group of students




He was good at advising me on the errors of my past tin banjos ( see photo of me holding it ) and in summary its all about the 3 degrees. 

I will be updating and blogging the progress of these banjos, I intend to make in my workshop at home.


I  have stage one of the banjo making started. 

I have glued up some beautiful wood to create my neck. The red centre strip is African Padauk with Maple and then Walnut cheeks. All the wood for my banjo comes from a scrap hardwood pack that I buy. It is strips that the joinery firm don't/can't use, and  would otherwise be skipped.